List of bugs and inaccuracies, vol 2

Hello again!
Following my previous topic, I’d like to draw your attention to this list of new and old possible bugs and inaccuracies in the latest (1.8) self-hosted version of SeaTable:

1. BUG: There is an error with sending emails after registration: when ENABLE_SIGNUP = True and ACTIVATE_AFTER_REGISTRATION = False in dtable_web_settings file and “Activate user immediately after registration” is unchecked, users see “Signup function is not enabled” on the page after registration (though it’s in fact enabled), and then the mail system gets an error like that: “<…>@auth.local A problem occurred and this message couldn’t be delivered. Check to be sure the email address is correct. If the problem continues, please contact your email admin” even though all other email notifications are working fine (like resetting passwords, adding to groups etc).
    If ACTIVATE_AFTER_REGISTRATION = True and “Activate user immediately after registration” is unchecked, “Signup function is not enabled” words disappear, but the mail problem is still in place. If ACTIVATE_AFTER_REGISTRATION = False and “Activate user immediately after registration” is checked, users will see “Signup function is not enabled”, but at the same time will have an “Active” status.
    The same email problem occurs when the activation is enabled and NOTIFY_ADMIN_AFTER_REGISTRATION = True
  2. BUG: When I try to use “Import a CSV” or “Import new data from CSV” feature in one of my existing tables, I somehow get the “Please check the network” error
  3. BUG: When you rename some column, all formulas using this column stop working
  4. BUG: When you try to update “Some table” name to “Some Table”, the “Some Table exists” error occurs
  5. BUG: I’ve encountered the same bug with API as described here
  6. OLD-BUG: There is an “Error” on the page “Users/[some user]/Groups” in “System Admin” settings, so you couldn’t see which groups the user is part of
  7. OLD-BUG: There is an “Error” in the “Statistic/Scripts” page in “System Admin” settings
  8. OLD-BUG: When you create a Check List Item in Long Text column, then check it and press Enter to create another one, the new Item is already checked
  9. INACC: There is a manual on how to customize email notifications, but there are no such files and the whole directory “seahub-data” is missing
  10. INACC: On the “/accounts/login” page and “/accounts/register” page there are different wordings of the sign up function: “Signup” at the top and “Sign Up” at the bottom
  11. INACC: At the end of link functions manual there are 2 paragraphs in English and 3 in German language
  12. OLD-INACC: On the login page there is a hint you can use “Email or Username or Phone Number” to login, but in fact you can’t set a username or phone number in settings
  13. OLD-INACC: In the Docker file it’s said the time zone “Should be uncomment”, but this option is in fact not commented
  14. OLD-INACC: There is a description “External link enables you to share a table to anonymous users in read-only mode” when you try to create an external link, but this type of links share a base with all tables, not just one
  15. OLD-INACC: When the user has been activated, there is an option to send an email for them, but you couldn’t modify the template. And in the current template, the message looks rather strange: “Hi, Your account <user ID, which is a hash string@auth.local> on <SITE_NAME> has been activated”. Maybe it would be better instead to use the Name and Contact Email of the user
  16. UX: Although you could control now the height of the rows, you could not control the height of the top row with column names, and this problem is very frustrating since column names are usually quite long; thus either the columns should be very wide or you could not read their names
  17. UX: It would be very useful if “Import new data from CSV” function will match the names of columns in the table and in the CSV file and import them in the correct order
  18. UX: You could add Filter using “is any of…” rule for Single Select column, and for this rule you have to choose several options, but after choosing each one of them the menu disappears and you have to press and scroll it over again
  19. UX: Batch Replacement feature always suggests to use it on the first column; it would be nice if you could select a column and then go to Batch Replacement menu and apply it on the selected column. Or maybe you could add Batch Replacement feature to the column menu. Similar UX suggestion is valid for Group feature
  20. OLD-UX: Maybe that’s an intended behavior, but when you open a cell in Long Text column, the cursor is in the end of the cell. But in the table view you could see only the beginning of the cell, so it’s more useful to add new information in the beginning and you need to move the cursor there first
  21. OLD-UX: It would also be useful to be able to alphabetically sort all options when you edit Single or Multiple Select columns.

Thank you again for the great product!

First off: Wow, thanks for this effort, Vadim!!

Second, we’ll certainly have a look at your comments! You raise some good points. We are working hard every day to make SeaTable better.

Third, on the bright side, some your points have already been solved or are not as bad as you may think:
As for 3. There is a bug with renaming, but it is probably different from what you think. I made a little video below. Watch it carefully and you’ll understand SeaTable’s current restriction:
Formulas
Point is: When renaming a column, the formulas that use that column are not automatically renamed accordingly. As a consequence, the formulas that contain a column being renamed don’t work anymore. (All other formulas still work!!!)

As for 18. The “is any of” filter has been added to SeaTable in version 1.8. See below.
grafik

As for 20. Long-text cells are meant to replace manuscripts and manuscripts are usually written top-to-bottom. So we believe placing the cursor at the end makes sense.

As for 21. The sorting order in single and multiple select columns is determined by the order of the options in the “Edit Single Select” menu. If the option “xyz” is the first option, it will appear first when sorting “up”, although x is at the end of the alphabet. Do I understand you correctly that you want a sort that disregards the order of the options and sorts the options alphabetically?

@Karlheinz: Could you have a look at 11.

Thank you for the answer, Ralf!

1. When renaming a column, the formulas that use that column are not automatically renamed accordingly. As a consequence, the formulas that contain a column being renamed don’t work anymore. (All other formulas still work!!!)

Yes, I understand that and I mean it would be useful if all formulas would be automatically renamed according to the new column name.

1. The “is any of” filter has been added to SeaTable in version 1.8. See below.

Maybe I didn’t get it, but the point of this UX request was that when you choose an option in “is any of” filter, the drop-down menu automatically closes and you have to open it again and scroll over to add the next “is any of” option.

1. Do I understand you correctly that you want a sort that disregards the order of the options and sorts the options alphabetically?

I mean not the sorting, but the order of the options in the “Edit Single Select” menu. Usually the order in which the options were added is fine, but sometimes it’s better to have it in the alphabetical order (for example, when it’s a list of names) and now you have to reorder it manually after adding each new option.

The manual was written in German and translated by Weglot automatically. I don’t know why Weglot didn’t translate the description of those three functions. Maybe it’s a bug? @cdb would you pls take a look why these are not translated?

Thanks for your report!

This is interesting, would you describe more about this bug? Maybe a screenshot of that table’s headers? Perhaps there are columns that are linked to other tables that don’t exist any more?

this seems to be a bug in the wordpress plugin weglot because as soon as a { or &#123 is used on our website the text is not translated anymore. Thanks for the hint. I will fix that.
Best regards
christoph

This is interesting, would you describe more about this bug? Maybe a screenshot of that table’s headers? Perhaps there are columns that are linked to other tables that don’t exist any more?

There are no links in the table. I’ve made a couple of experiments, and it seems the bug consists of several problems:
2-1. “Please check the network” error when the size of the file is over 1 MB.
2-2. Inconsistent behaviour of parsing CSV files with “,” and “;” delimiters: with “;” delimiter you could create a new table by using “Import a CSV” function, but couldn’t add this data in the existing table by using “Import new data from CSV” function, since all you get is “0 rows imported” pop-up (and with “,” delimiter it works fine).

Also, one more small bug I encountered now with external links function:
22. “Export” button on public tables leads to “Exporting Infinity%” page without actual export, for example on SeaTable Newsroom.