List of minor bugs and inaccuracies

Hi!

Thanks for the great product! I’m using self-hosted SeaTable Developer Edition version 1.6 and encountered a number of small bugs, inaccuracies or simply typos, too small for a single topic:

1. There is an error “Events not enabled” in the “Statistic/Users” page in “System Admin” and just an “Error” in the “Statistic/Scripts” page. Moreover, it has been said self-hosted Developer Edition is the same version as Free Cloud, but Cloud version has “Organization Admin” settings instead of “System Admin”, which don’t have “Statistic”, “External Links”, “Notifications”, “Plugins” and “Forms” pages
  2. “Developer Edition” is called “Community Edition” in the “Info” page in “System Admin” and multiple times in the Seafile GC page in documentation
  3. Some pages in documentation don’t appear in the tree on the left (for example, 3 links in Administration section)
  4. In the Docker file there is a typo in the word “should” in comments. Also it’s said the time zone “Should be uncomment”, but this option is not commented
  5. The documentation on how to add your own SSL certificate should be a bit corrected (at least two corresponding forum topics: 153 and 245)
  6. There is an “Error” on the page “Users/[some user]/Groups” in “System Admin” settings. In Free Cloud version, there is no such pages
  7. There is a description “External link enables you to share a table to anonymous users in read-only mode” when you try to create an external link, but in fact this type of links share a base with all tables, not just one table
  8. On the login page there is a hint you can use “Email or Username or Phone Number” to login, but in fact you can’t set a username or phone number in settings. This applies both to Developer Edition and Free Cloud versions
  9. There is a bug with Long Text column: when you paste text in the cell with multiple paragraphs and some formatting, for example an email text from Gmail, then some part or even all text is missing. There is a simple workaround: remove formatting by using some other application first or paste it to Code Block. This bug applies both to Developer and Free Cloud versions, as well as all other Long Text column issues
  10. In Long Text column, when you create a Check List Item, then check it and press Enter to create another one, the new Item is already checked
  11. Maybe that’s an intended behavior, but when you open a cell in Long Text column, the cursor is in the end of the cell. But in the table view you could see only the beginning of the cell, so it’s more useful to add new information in the beginning and you need to move the cursor there first
  12. When you open an empty cell in Long Text column, there are two blank paragraphs there and the cursor is on the second one
  13. When you write some text in the beginning of the Long Text cell, close the window and open it again, there are no new blank paragraphs in the beginning. But if you write it in the Code Block or Quote there, you couldn’t move the cursor before the block, but after closing the window and opening it again, the blank paragraph magically appears in the beginning and you could move the cursor now and add some text. And if you create a Check List Item, no new blank paragraphs appears after the closing-opening operation, and that means you couldn’t write anything before the first Check List Item. Unchecking it in the menu also doesn’t help
  14. When the user has been activated, there is an option to send an email for them, but you couldn’t modify the template (or I don’t know how to do it). And in the current template, the message looks rather strange: “Hi, Your account <user ID, which is a hash string@auth.local> on <SITE_NAME> has been activated”. Maybe it would be better to use the Name and Contact Email of the user instead
  15. Not a bug, but product suggestion: it would be nice to have Personal Views which could only be seen to the user who created them
  16. And another product suggestion: it would be useful to be able to alphabetically sort all options when you edit Single or Multiple Select columns

Hi!

Thanks for your detailed report. I would like to echo to your effort as follows:

Both the DE (Developer Edition) and the Cloud version have the same structure: System>Organization>User. So you are the sys-admin of your self-hosted instance, while SeaTable GmbH is the sys-admin of cloud.seatable.io. I have already explained the structure in this post.

Thanks for the notice, we’ll correct it.

Thanks for the reminder - but I think only 1 link “Account” is missing in the tree structure?

I stared at the word “Should” for several seconds and I think there’s no typo? Could you specify?

Thanks for the reminder, I’m sure someone’s revising these documentations recently and will publish new versions soon.

That’s because in the free cloud version, we are the system admin and only we can see this :grinning: All the users on the free cloud platform are whether org-admins or org-members. Refer to the 1st item in this post.

Thanks, we’ll correct these in the next versions!

Problems with long text editor has cost us some time to fix but it should be much better in the coming 1.7, which will be out in 1 or 2 weeks.

Thanks, this is noted.

I’m not sure what you mean here. In SeaTable, the word “view” is used to call the different combination of filters, sorts, groups and hidden columns in a table (refer to the SeaTable Manual - Views for more details). Each user can create as many views as they want. If you want a view that’s not visible to anyone but you, you could use “custom sharing permissions” to restrict other users from seeing this particular view. However, custom sharing permissions is a feature in the Enterprise Edition. But did you mean this, or did you mean something else?

This is a nice suggestion. We should have this. Below is some of my own thoughts about this feature.

Currently, you can only change the order of the options by dragging them, or exporting them as a JSON file and sort them in your text editor and then import them again… But what I like about this is that when you sort the table with the single/multiple select column, the column is sorted not alphabetically, but in the exact order of your options. This is very useful when you group your entries with the single select options as labels: your groups will appear in the exact order of the options, but not alphabetically. But of course, if you can have the option to sort the options alphabetically, then you can also sort the groups alphabetically!

Both the DE (Developer Edition) and the Cloud version have the same structure: System>Organization>User. So you are the sys-admin of your self-hosted instance, while SeaTable GmbH is the sys-admin of cloud.seatable.io. I have already explained the structure in this post.

Yeah, but on the link I quoted it’s said “The Developer Edition (formerly Community Edition) is - with regards to user functions and features - identical to the Free plan on the Cloud platform”, but these missing pages look like some differences. Would be great to clarify all this DE / EE / Cloud differences somewhere in documentation.

Thanks for the reminder - but I think only 1 link “Account” is missing in the tree structure?

I meant also Seafile FSCK and Seafile GC links. They are in “Backup and Recovery”, but on the left it refers only to the first link in this section. There are similar inconsistencies in Server Configuration and Customization.

I stared at the word “Should” for several seconds and I think there’s no typo? Could you specify?

In the docker file it’s “shuold” instead of “should”.

That’s because in the free cloud version, we are the system admin and only we can see this :grinning: All the users on the free cloud platform are whether org-admins or org-members. Refer to the 1st item in this post.

Okay, but this error still probably should be corrected :slight_smile:

However, custom sharing permissions is a feature in the Enterprise Edition. But did you mean this, or did you mean something else?

Yes, thank you for the explanation.