No notification when I am the editor

Hi!
Me again on notifications.

Use Case:
I like all Collaborators to be notified on any change to a table, except the user that made the change. Seems reasonable, I am making the changes so I don’t have to be notified.

I thought this could be possible by making a Notification rule as displayed in the screenshot below.
I am in the assumption that every change is being triggered (Watched all fields), and because of the Filter condition “Last Modifier = include the current user” I won’t get the notification. Perhaps I am interpreting this incorrect, but I read it as: when the last modifier is the current user (= me), the notification wont be sent to me, but it will be sent to the other users in the Action section.

I am probably interpreting this wrong because with this setting nobody gets a notification.
Assuming I am doing it wrong, please advise how to setup my Use Case.
And what is the use of the “include the current user”

Peter

Hi Peter,

me again, too…

The “Filter condition” in your description is not the filter for the recipient of the notification, but the trigger of the rule, as it is part of the “Trigger condition” (look at the top title on your screenshot). So it does nothing to “who receives this email”, but only “when will this email be sent”.

To configure who receives this notification, the only thing you can change is in the “Actions” section (the lower section on your screenshot). You can select “User” to make them constantly receive every notification, or you can select “Users in column” where you can define for each record, who receives this notification. Here, for example, you can select the Collaborator column.

I hope this makes sense!

Karlheinz

Hi!

makes sense, and I thought of that. But I got confused because can’t see in which situatie there is a condition where “Last Modifier includes the current user” There can exist only one “Last Modifier” and that is always “The Current User”? What is the functional purpose of this filter?

The conclusion seems however, that my use case is not possible. I can’t make a notification rule where everyone except the editor himself receives a notification…
(a workaround is to make notification rules for every individual collaborator… hard to manage :frowning: )

This is quite an obvious case, though… imagine, you would like to be notified, when someone adds you as collaborator in a Collaborator column. The “The current user” means “me”, actually! You have given your Last Modifier column the name of “last modifier”, but this filter can include also collaborator columns where other people can add you as a collaborator. Of course this function overlaps with the collaborator column automatic notification, but the difference is also obvious to see: the notification rules offers more possibility to customize the notification. Key is: always separate “trigger” and “actions” as they are two completely different components…

And the notification: I partly agree with you! As the notification is first sent inside the base editor (a red “1” added to the bell in the top right corner), if you don’t click this inside the time period you defined in your email settings (e.g. 30 minutes), it will then be sent to your email. If you clicked on this bell before the time period runs out and have read the notification already, no emails will be sent to you. I think in the near future a sound effect will be added to the bell (or do we have it already?), so that it won’t be so easy to ignore!

Thanks for your reply! Makes it more clear now.

Not to be a pain in the a, but my conclusion from my last post is correct then? Not a big deal, but to conclude the thread…

The conclusion seems however, that my use case is not possible. I can’t make a notification rule where everyone except the editor himself receives a notification…
(a workaround is to make notification rules for every individual collaborator… hard to manage :frowning: )