Call a URL via automation

We have had a mediation platform set up to exchange data between SeaTable (via the API) and our CRM.
However, we do not want every change to be exchanged within SeaTable, but want to create a kind of “Save” button.
When clicked, a URL should then be called up on our mediation platform, which then triggers an internal trigger for data exchange.
The question now would be how I can call up such an external URL via a button, for example?

Bye Thomas

Hi @ThoBunte ,
Not completely sure I fully understood your problem, but what about setting a webhook ?
You can, for example, set a n8n webhook triggering the exchange workflow to SeaTable, and use JavaScript so that your button launches the appropriate HTTP request to this webhook.
Hope this helps…

Bests,
Benjamin

1 Like

tnx @bennhatton - the way over an automation System like n8n or zapier (we work actual with zapier) was clear.
But we’re looking for a more direct way?

Bye Thomas

Hi again @ThoBunte ,
Sorry, as I feared, I didn’t quite understand your need…
Depending on your context, you might eventually use one of the following processes :

• in the very special case of an app stored only locally and used only by trusted users (I recognize that the use cases are pretty limited), you can add a link on your page, and use JavaScript to make an API call on the onclick event. The locally-stored and trusted users-only conditions are necessary to limit the security risks as you’ll have to hardcode you API token in your html page, which is definitely not the more secure practice, but might, in my humble opinion, be acceptable in this very particular case
  • for more general use cases, you can set up any kind of client-server communication system to achieve the same workflow without exposing your credentials on the internet : the client-side (the app on the client’s web browser) will send to the server-side the request of executing the transfer to SeaTable (so your credentials will be stored only on the server-side, ideally in environments variable), and the server-side will send back the response to the client-side. I think php is the mostly used technology for a client-server architecture. WebSocket can be a pretty simple way to deal with such a communication process.

Anyway, if the way will be more direct as you say (you’ll drop the automation system), don’t forget to ask yourself whether this simplification is really worth it, as setting everything up will be pretty time-consuming (at least it was for me when doing something similar :sweat_smile::sweat_smile:)…
I hope I’ve answered better than I did the first time.

Bests,
Benjamin

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.