How to automate all rows with the same single select value?

Questions:

Do triggered automations only work in one row or is there any chance to use it for all rows?

For example there are ten rows in which the single selection field has to be changed from “In progress” to “Done”. I want some kind of selection or button, which automatically changes all ten rows at once. My automations only work for one row at a time.

Any ideas?

If you have an automation of type “Records meet specific conditions after modification”, it triggers for every row that you modify.

I have to further explain my issue.

This is the abbreviation of my table:

Row Status (Dropdown)
1 “In progress”
2 “In progress”
3 “In progress”
4 “In progress”
5 “In progress”
6 “In progress”
7 “In progress”
8 “In progress”
9 “In progress”
10 “In progress”

Row one gets changed to:

Row Status (Dropdown)
1 “Done”
2 “In progress”
3 “In progress”
4 “In progress”
5 “In progress”
6 “In progress”
7 “In progress”
8 “In progress”
9 “In progress”
10 “In progress”

All rows should automatic change to:

Row Status (Dropdown)
1 “Done”
2 “Done”
3 “Done”
4 “Done”
5 “Done”
6 “Done”
7 “Done”
8 “Done”
9 “Done”
10 “Done”

To make it simple, I need a “select all” command.

Have you thought about writing a Python script?

I have never done any Phyton before.

I see.
You could also try make.com or another automation plattform that is supported by SeaTable.

Why don’t you simply use the pull-down function? Click the cell, move the mouse cursor to the bottom-right corner and pull down.

You can also use search and replace.

This are two standard features that you can use right away.

I didn’t want to risk to say that idea: could be to many clicks :expressionless:

I agree. A few clicks are required. But a Python script does not write itself either.

Additionally, I think the search and replace function is ideal for this use case.

I summary, there are three approaches:

• Pull-down function
  • Search and replace
  • Python script

My recommendation: Search and replace

1 Like

Unfortunately, it is not that simple.

The real use case is the following “Application for vacation”.

The user has to manually input every single day, he wants to take off, so this might be 5 days for Monday to Friday, which means, this will create 5 rows. As soon as he clicks onto the Button for the first row, he requests approval from his supervisor, also each single day will automatically be checked if this day is one of his regular off days, as well as a national bank holiday. There are currently about 120 columns checking if the day might be an offday or a national bank holiday.
It would be perfect, if the first button (for the first day of his vacation) would also activate all the other buttons, so he does not have to click 5 buttons.

You now, may understand why, your solutions are not correct in this case.

I don’t understand why search and replace would not work.

For every day that the user wants to take off, he must submit one web form/create one record? There are more efficient ways to do this.

Search and replace must have been triggered by the employee and not by the base administrator.

If there is a more efficient way, enlighten my world.

If you create a view for each employee and filter on the appropriate vacation, you can use the search and replace function to change the status of the desired entries.

For easier management of leave requests, feel free to check out our template.

Thank you for your reply.

I will check and see what I can do. The basic idea was to automate the whole process.

In all fairness, your template is not useable in a business environment, as it still needs a lot of manual work, e.g. for calculating of the national bank holidays and so on.

This is a template, which should serve for inspiration, how the vacation approval can alternatively proceed.

That this is not a 100% suitable solution for you and also does not offer a calendar function in which all holidays are shown, should be clear.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.