Issues copying enterprice license file

Hi,

i just wanted to try out the EE version of SeaTable and followed the instructions in the manual. I have obtained the seatable-license.txt and tried to copy it to my docker-compose folder. I have started SeaTable with docker-compose up -d and copied afterwards the license file into the docker container using docker cp ./seatable-license.txt seatable:/opt/seatable/seatable-data/seatable.

Unfortunately, i get the error message:

Error: No such container:path: seatable:/opt/seatable/seatable-data

When i check the folder in the container, it seems not to exist:

root@docker:~/docker-compose/seatable/stprod$ docker exec -it seatable ls -l /opt/seatable/seatable-data/seatable
ls: cannot access '/opt/seatable/seatable-data/seatable': No such file or directory

When i try to start SeaTable i get this message, which leads me to the manual-section.

root@docker:~/docker-compose/seatable/stprod$ docker exec -it seatable /shared/seatable/scripts/seatable.sh start

Missing SeaTable License!

Please see https://manual.seatable.io/docker/Enterprise-Edition/Deploy%20SeaTable-EE%20with%20Docker/#activating-the-seatable-license

Any idea what i’m doing wrong?

Please place the license file in /opt/seatable/seatable-data/seatable on the host (assuming you followed the install instruction in the SeaTable Manual).

The directory /opt/seatable does not exist in the SeaTable container.

Hi @rdb,

thanks for your reply. I reread the manual and understood how it should be done. However, i won’t continue using the self-hosted version of seatable - neither DE nor EE. Imho, there are several things (I’d even call them crimes) that are not in accordance to how an application should be hosted in a docker container. There are too many dependencies to the host.
Starting a dockerized application shouldn’t me more than a docker-compose up -d, upgrading is just a docker pull and container restart. Each kind of settings need to be passed as environment variables and this type of things like license files are to be bind mounted into the container!

Sorry i needed to get that of my chest. I really like seatable, that’s why i’ll keep using the cloud version. But the self-hosted variant feels hard to maintain - almost like if they want to first lure people into the SH version just to push them into cloud based variants.
OK, i’m starting again to rant.

Nevertheless, thanks for your the help!
cheers.

1 Like

That’s where you lost me.

My apologies. I was in rant-mode. Let’s rephrase it to severe violations of well known best practices.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.