Sending data (multiple rows) to n8n on demand with user interaction

Hey there,

it looks like this time my approach to move my data and tools from Airtable to Seatable is going to be real. I also want to take the chance to switch from a hand full of wide spread tools over different languages and user interactions (nodejs commandline, python commandline, electron) to something that is as closely integrated into seatable as possible.

The first task I’m trying to tackle here is one to merge several pdfs into one and do OCR on this merged pdfs at the end. The URLs to these PDFs are stored in Seatable. Each URL is in a single row in an orders table. Each order has a date.

The goal is to have the user select a date and have all URLs transfered to n8n in a way where it could further do the merging and OCR (likely via AWS textract, but that’s a different story then).

I wonder what a good way would be to have this user interaction integrated into seatable. I could imagine having a view where orders are grouped by the date. But would there be a way to have user interaction on those groups? Like a button that runs a script? It would also be great to be able to have some feedback for the user - maybe the return code of the n8n webhook.

Sorry if this questions sounds dumb but i’m only starting to use Seatable, so I need to get used to all the stuff available. :wink:

Thanks for helping in advance!

Cheers,
Frank

Hi Frank,

When you talk about users, do you mean people with a SeaTable subscription, or also external people?

You could work with one view, you’re right, but I would recommend the universal app.

With the universal app, you can make information/data available to certain user groups without requiring them to have access to your base. You can also include a button here.

You can find more information about the Universal App here.

Sorry for being unclear here - by Users I really mean people using SeaTable just as myself - nothing public.

Universal App is nothing I have worked with so far - maybe I should check that.

Thank you - i’m sure I’ll get back with questions.

1 Like

Ok, I may be back quicker than I thought. The Universal App looks great but it looks like a glorified CRUD tool to me. Seems like it enables me to display data in various ways and also use forms to enter data. I don’t think it does what I need to do though.

Not sure if my question was clear enough so I try to rephrase it. I would need the user (SeaTable user) to select a date and ideally be presented with the amount of orders available for this date (so far Universal app could probably be helpful). Then after selecting the date some kind of script would need to run to that sends the data from the orders that happened on this date to n8n in some way - probably webhook would be the way to go here.

I could imagine a python script that takey the date as an input and then runs on seatable python runner. The question is how this user interaction could be working. Is this something that can be done with the universal app and I’m just not seeing it? Maybe I just missed it.

Currently, you can do as following:

1. A search page display records for a single date (Or a table page display all data, but the user can filtering)
  2. A form page that the user can submit a date that he/she like to export records, OCR and merge.
  3. After the user submit the form, you can set an automation rule to run a Python script to do the staffs.
  4. You can record the result in a table and show the result in a table page.

The solution is not perfect, but can do the requirements you described so far.

2 Likes

Thanks Daniel.

After some playing around I slowly start to realize how Apps can work. I created a task table with limited access rights where those kind of tasks can be stored and then used for further automation. Need to play with that a bit more to see how further processing could happen, but that’s a good start. Thank you for that.

One question: Is it really not possible to have hidden fields in forms. I would like to use default values in the form. I noticed I can set them and also lock them but hiding them from the user would even be better.

Unfortunately, it is not possible to hide the column directly.
However, you can add a condition to the corresponding column that is not fulfilled → so the column is not displayed.

But is it still submitted with its default values set then? (the forms default value, not the column’s default value)

Oh sorry, I thought it was possible.

You are welcome to record your wish here

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.