Use value of formula field through linked records

Okay, pushing Seatable to the limits I think and it would be fully understandable if you don’t have a solution for this (like many others), I’ll give it a try anyway. :slight_smile:

I want to reference to previous records in my table, I can do that with the Link to other records field type. But I actually want to use a value of a linked record which had the Formula field type. As far as I know I cant use the value of a formula field with linked records, is that correct?

What I am trying to accomplish:
I want to create a runbook (a table where each row is an action to be executed at a certain time) in Seatable. Each row has a stepnumber, dependency, starttime, duration and an action to execute at that time. When creating the runbook I create a new row, enter the duration and optional the dependency. When there is no dependency, the starttime of the new action is the previous step’s starttime+duration.
==> how do I do this in Seatable?
When there is a dependency, the starttime of the new action is the starttime+duration of the dependent stap. In Excel this is easy accomplished by using the vlookup function. See screenshot below.

But in Seatable it cant be done I think. I can indicate the dependencies by linking fields of the same table, but I cant use a different formula field value in my formula, can I?

I hope this makes sense, again it is no standard use of seatable I think, so if this is not possible I won’t be disappointed :slight_smile:

Yes, you are right! Until the current version 1.5.2, SeaTable doesn’t support the quotation of linked formula. This will be changed this week, as we launch SeaTable 1.6!

Your description and the screenshot is very clear: What you are trying to do is the so called “Calculation across rows”. As SeaTable is designed as a database integration tool, not exactly like Excel, which is a calculation tool, the calculation across records is not really a feature that comes automatically in the product roadmap of SeaTable. Anyway, as far as I understand, this feature will be available in the early June 2021.

Which version are you using? I think you can use the result of one formula field in another formula in the latest SeaTable version…

Yes, you are right! Until the current version 1.5.2, SeaTable doesn’t support the quotation of linked formula. This will be changed this week, as we launch SeaTable 1.6 !

That is good news! I can’t wait …

Which version are you using? I think you can use the result of one formula field in another formula in the latest SeaTable version…

Where can I find the version I am using? I am using the cloud based version…
And yes I can use the result of a formula field in another formula, but not when the second formula field is in a linked table. But that is solved in version 1.6 (your answer above).

If you are using the cloud version, then it’s 1.5.2 now. We’ll update to 1.6 (most probably directly to 1.6.2) in this week!

The wait is over! :wink: Can you please test it again? It should work now.

There is an easy way to find out the version you are using. It’s not an obvious one though. Do you want to know this little secret? Ok ok, I am going to tell you :wink: In the bases library, make a right click anywhere in the white space and select “view page source” (or similar) in the browser’s context menu. In the source code, actually one of the first line in the section, you’ll find a line “version:” This tell you which SeaTable version you use.

Under normal circumstances, cloud.seatable.io is always the latest version as per the Changelog. So for SeaTable cloud users, there should be no need to check the version. That is why we don’t bother to display the version prominently.

Could you please mark this post as solved?