Working with filters and views

Filters are one of my most-frequently used features. I always save my most frequent filter settings as views, which is a really nice feature. I have a few minor annoyances about working with filters and filtered views that I wanted to share.

1. When adding a new row in a filtered view, if the new (empty) row doesn’t match the filter criteria, it is immediately filtered out, so it can’t be edited without switching views. It makes it hard to add new rows within an arbitrary view.

2. I often create a filter for the rows I want to work on. One typical scenario is when a specific column has an empty value. Of course, as soon as I fill in a value, the row is filtered out, so I can’t copy/paste from that row, drag a formula down the column, etc.

3. I usually love the fact that the row details pop-up respects the Hidden Columns setting within the view. However, I sometimes have to change a value in a field that is not displayed. This gets very cumbersome – I have the right record open, but I need to close it, switch views, find the row again, make the change, then go back to the original view and find the record again. It would be awesome to have a new menu item under the row details pop-up, under the “Delete” and “Print” menu items, to display the full record, just within the pop-up.

Are there some features I’m not aware of that could help me in these cases? #1 and #2 could be solved with a button to lock the filtered rows (similar to the existing Lock View, except lock to the currently-displayed rows.) That’s how the Excel filters work, so it would be familiar, and probably why I jump to that solution, but I’d be open to others.

Thanks as always!

Peter

This (#1) will be solved in version 2.8.

For #2, it can’t be improved. But you can open row details dialog and fill value.

For #3, in theory, we can add a menu item to show all fields. But there are view sharing and custom permission sharing, where hidden fields need to be always hidden (the owner of the base does not want the user to see the hidden fields), adding such a feature will easily leads to bugs.

1 Like

Hi @daniel.pan,
is #1 already fixed? Version 2.8 is out but cells with a “link to other record” are still filtered out.

Thanks,
Oliver

I also think #1 is not fixed yet. :frowning:

Best

Simon

I have the issue and it still does not work. There is also an additional issue:
I have used filters to filter two types of invoice in two views - private or company. The filter uses “is not empty” for specific columns that sort them into private or company.
If you are in the “private” view and click the + sign to add a new row, nothing happens. The same occurs in the “company” view. It only works if you go to the default view and add a new row.

Can you please explain your problem in more detail. I cannot reproduce the problem.

When adding a row in a filtered view, the column values in the filtered columns are set so as to meet the filter criteria (see below).
AddingRowsFilteredViews

Hence new rows can be added and manipulated without effort in filtered views. No need to change the view’s filters or change the view.

Announcement: We’ll remove the feature request list category from the forum in the future. You’ll be able to post and upvote feature requests on a separate platform.

Yes, I do see improvements in #1, it works now with just a filter applied.

I still see the same behaviour in other circumstances, an example is when a view is grouped by a column. Adding an item at the bottom of the grouping does not show up in the group where the Add Row + button was used. Maybe that’s a different topic but the row moving before it can be edited applies there as well.

Thanks,

Peter

In the situation you describe it works just fine:
AddingRowsWhenGrouped
It does not matter by which column I group. The behavior is the same if I group by either of the single select or rating column.
Unless a more specific problem description is supplied, I will regard this topic as solved.

You are right, the table I was using has a default value set in the single select column that I didn’t realize. In that case the new row moves immediately to the default category, not the one where the ‘Add Row’ button was used, but that does seem like the right behaviour.

Peter

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.